If you’re looking at losing weight or burning some excess fat off then you really need to look at a cleaner diet comprising fat burning foods.
“When I was losing my excess fat, I chose to eliminate a majority of ‘junk’ foods (pastries, pre-packed processed foods – ready meals, pizzas etc) and turned to cleaner raw foods to be prepared by myself. Little did I know – I was actually on the right path as has been proven with my own research over the last few years“.
What are Fat Burning Foods?
Let’s be totally honest about this – there is no such thing as fat burning foods. We merely classify foods as ‘fat burning’ if they actually help us to burn fat form our bodies.
Now, on to the interesting part……..
……what are fat burning foods?
Different foods bring a variety of
nutrition into our body’s. From proteins, essential fats, carbohydrates, fibres, vitamins and minerals – a mixed diet.
Whilst lean proteins are the best source of protein for weight loss (certain sources are decidedly bad for you – pork and lamb being 2), fruit and vegetables provide the greatest overall benefit when it comes to burning fat.
Fruit and vegetables contain a variety of 1 very important element – antioxidants. Antioxidants essentially help us to keep our body’s clean on the inside by cleansing out our fat cells, removing toxins and generally keeping our systems working as they should – just as we would keep our house clean to make living better, so the antioxidants help our body’s work better. “Clean house, healthy mind!” ?
Fat Burning Fruits
There are numerous fruits that burn fat. From acai berries and blueberries to peaches and nectarines and all the way through to raspberries and strawberries (and a few more besides).
Fat burning fruits contain more than just Vitamin C. They contain a wide variety of vitamins and minerals. Vitamin C also acts as an antioxidant.
Many also contain :-
- folate (a B vitamin essential for the formation of red blood cells),
- magnesium (aids in over 300 enzymatic reactions including metabolism and can reduce the risk of diabetes),
- pantothenic acid which helps to release energy from food
- and many more.
Like the fat burning fruits above, there are numerous fat burning vegetables we can call on to aid us in our fat loss quest (and good health).
Of the wide variety (from brocolli and cauliflower through beans and legumes, the best fat burning vegetables are……leafy greens.
Leafy greens include (but not limited to) :-
- Spinach (rich in Vit K with 1111% Daily Value, 377% Vit A, 66% Folate and 29% Daily Value of Vit C. Spinach is also rich in many other essential vitamins (Vits D, E, Thiamin, Roboflavin, Niacin, B6, Pantothenic acid, Choline and Betaine). Spinach also contains many essential minerals – calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, sodium, zinc, copper, selenium, flouride and 84% Daily Value of Manganese.
- Brussel Sprouts are also rich in Vitamins and minerals providing 141% Daily Value of Vit C. 1x Brussel Sprout also contains 37% Daily Value of Vitamin K (needed for blood clotting).
- Kale is another super rich leafy green providing 354% Daily Value of Vit A and 1328% Daily Value of Vit K and 89% Daily Value of Vit C. Kale also provides 134mg Omega-3 and 103mg Omega-6 essential fatty acids per 130g serving.
- Broccoli is rich in fibre, calcium, potassium, folate and contains essential phytonutrients that help to cleanse the body of toxins. Broccoli also contains Vit C aswell as Beta-Carotene (both antioxidants). Yet another chemical in Broccoli is Sulforphone. Sulforphone is said to have anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory qualities to reduce the cellular inflammation. 100g of Broccoli can provide you with 150% of the Recommended Daily Allowance of Vitamin C (an anti-oxidant that helps increase metabolism).
One other important ingredient in leafy greens is – Chlorophyll. Chlorophyll is very helpfull in detoxification and is also linked to cancer prevention, blocking carcinogenic effects and protecting DNA from damage caused by toxins or stress.
But don’t take just my word for it, following my decision to create this site – it became a bit of an ‘obsession’ learning how and why I lost the weight after my divorce.
Since the start of Fat-Loss-Quest, I have researched many nutritional and dietectic researches to understand why nutrition plays such an important role in not just losing weight, but keeping it off. And without starving!
Here’s what reknowned fat loss expert Craig Ballantyne says about foods and what are the best foods for fat burning –
“By: Craig Ballantyne, CTT
Certified Turbulence Trainer
Turbulence Training for Fat Loss
I couldn’t be any simpler with my nutrition recommendations for fat burning.
You will get have the most energy and the best body and fitness level possible if you eat whole, natural foods.
I always ask Dr. Chris Mohr, author of the Turbulence Training for Fat Loss Nutrition Guidelines if I ever need help with nutrition information.
You must avoid processed foods, which is pretty much anything in a bag or a box.
So cut out muffins, donuts, pre-packaged cereals, white bread, pasta, chips, crackers, cookies, etc.
We need to return to a time of simpler eating, focusing on fruits, vegetables, nuts, lean proteins, and healthy fats. It will take some “bad habit breaking” to rid yourself of your addiction to processed foods, but in your journey you will learn to appreciate the taste of REAL food again.
You don’t have to eat meat to lose fat and build muscle, but it’s not unhealthy to eat beef, chicken, and fish. In fact, fish contains essential fatty acids we can’t do without.
You might have heard about the importance of healthy fats, which is a big turn-around from the low-fat mentality of the 80’s, 90’s and still going strong. We now know eating fish and nuts won’t make us fat, but will in fact make us healthy and help control our appetite.
So just focus on foods that haven’t been processed, and you’ll start to see changes in your body and energy levels in a matter of days. Get rid of the processed foods and you won’t be tired anymore!
I strongly believe nutrition is the MOST important factor in fat loss and in health. If you’re eating processed foods, trans-fats, and too many calories, you cannot get the maximum benefits from your weight loss /exercise program, no matter what you are doing.
Nutrition can either heal you or kill you, so choose wisely. Fortunately, the right choices are the simple choices.
I’ve had clients that switched to whole, natural foods and almost overnight they’ve reported changes in their bodies and huge increases in mental energy. So stick with the simple nutrition approach for fat burning”.
About the Author
Craig Ballantyne (who believes in a healthy, varied and nutritionally balanced diet) is a Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist and writes for Men’s Health, Men’s Fitness, Maximum Fitness, Muscle and Fitness Hers, and Oxygen magazines.
His trademarked Turbulence Training fat loss workouts have been featured multiple times in Men’s Fitness and Maximum Fitness magazines, and have helped thousands of men and women around the world lose fat, gain muscle, and get lean in less than 45 minutes three times per week.
For more information on the Turbulence Training for fat loss visit Turbulence Training for Fat Loss”
Clean, natural non-factory foods have proven to –
- Detox the Body
- Help with fat burning
- Generate more Energy
- Improve personal vitality and Overall health
As mentioned previously and without the benefit of this new found knowledge, I lost my excess weight using natural foods. My waist shrunk from 36″ down to 28″ in a matter of weeks back in ’97. To date, I am still a 30″ waist. This simple nutrition for fat loss simply works – period. I highly recommend you try Simple Nutrition For Fat Loss.
- Sprouts for Weight Loss
- Fat burning foods here
- List of Fat Burning Vegetables
- Top 10 Fat Burning Fruits
- Green Leafy Vegetables for Fat Loss
- Strawberries and Cream